A delightful natural ruby and diamond cluster ring dating to the turn of the 20th Century, circa 1890-1910. Made in platinum and 18ct yellow gold and replete with delightful details.
The face of the ring is in a quatrefoil shape. Quatrefoil means “four leaves” – like a four leaved clover. It is an ancient symbol, found all over the world in various cultures.
Five table cut rubies and four rose cut diamonds are bead set into the platinum face of the ring, a ruby in each of the leaves, and another at the centre, with a further ruby and an old cut diamond in each shoulder. Most unusually the largest diamonds are those set in the shoulders. The combination of stones is a glittering array of pink and sparkles that scintillates in the light and the shade. The rubies are approximately 2 x 2.2mm each, measured in the setting, the rose cut diamonds have an approximate diameter of 1.7mm and the old cut diamonds are exceptional bright white stones, about 2.3mm each in diameter.
The face of the ring and the shoulders are made in platinum, with decorative undercarriage and band in 18ct yellow gold. The quatrefoil face measures 9.22 x 9.75mm. The shoulders are 3.65mm wide, tapering to a half round 1.52mm band. The ring is hallmarked to the inside of the band 18ct Plat for 18ct and Platinum.
All gemstones are natural and verified by an independent gemologist. They are original to the ring. There are no chips to any of the stones, however under magnification the rubies do show wear to the facet edges. This is not visible to the naked eye, and is commensurate with age and wear.
Size R1/2 or 9